- 1 Chocolate (dog and cat)
- 2 Milk (dog and cat)
- 3 Cheese (dog and cat)
- 4 Ham and fatty meats (dog and cat)
- 5 Tuna (dog and cat)
- 6 Liver (dog)
- 7 Grease (dog and cat)
- 8 Cooked bones (dog and cat)
- 9 Raw Fish (dog)
- 10 Grapes (dog and cat)
- 11 Avocado (dog and cat)
- 12 Onions and garlic (dog and cat)
- 13 Macadamia nuts (dog and cat)
- 14 Mushrooms (dog and cat)
- 15 Chestnuts (cat)
- 16 Raw potato (dog and cat)
- 17 Salt (dog and cat)
- 18 Sweet foods (Dogs and cats)
- 19 Raw pie crust (dog and cat)
- 20 Moldy or beefy food (dog and cat)
- 21 Xylitol (dog and cat)
- 22 Cat food (dog of course)
- 23 Caffeine (dog and cat)
- 24 Iron-containing human vitamin supplements (Dogs and cats)
- 25 Alcohol (dog and cat)
- 26 What to do if your pet has eaten an unsafe food?
- 27 Conclution
Certain foods, such as chocolate or tuna, can be dangerous for cats and dogs, but they are not the only ones. Discover the list of dangerous foods for cats and dogs.
Chocolate (dog and cat)
Cocoa contains theobromine that quickly passes into your pet’s bloodstream and is very toxic to him. 150 grams of dark chocolate can be enough to kill a 10 kilogram dog.
Symptoms (vomiting, seizures, diarrhea and, in the most dramatic cases, heart problems that can lead to death) usually appear 4 to 5 hours after ingestion.
Milk (dog and cat)
High in lactose, milk and dairy products in general can cause vomiting, diarrhea and other intestinal problems. Our pets do not have the enzymes to properly assimilate lactose. Therefore, they cannot digest it properly.
Cheese (dog and cat)
Very rich in fat, it can cause inflammation of the pancreas which, in some cases, can be fatal.
Ham and fatty meats (dog and cat)
Like cheese, meats are high in fat and can cause pancreatitis. In fact, they are high in salt content and encourage dogs to drink a lot of water, causing stomach upsets.
Tuna (dog and cat)
Highly salty canned tuna promotes kidney breakdown and can cause heart problems. However, there is suitable tuna for your animal from your vet.
The liver can cause vitamin A poisoning that will eventually destroy your dog’s muscles and bones if consumed repeatedly. The first symptoms are constipation, weight loss and bone deformation.
Grease (dog and cat)
It can cause inflammation of the pancreas that can be fatal if not treated in time. In the most serious cases, the animal does not move and suffers when you press its belly. Then it must be taken to the vet urgently.
Cooked bones (dog and cat)
Being able to break, get stuck in the intestines, or get stuck in both the mouth and throat, all cooked bones should be avoided without exception.
Raw Fish (dog)
It can lead to a vitamin B deficiency that results in loss of appetite, weight loss, and sometimes death. These problems are more common when the dog is fed raw fish regularly.
Grapes (dog and cat)
Dried or fresh, they can cause intestinal problems and damage the kidneys. In the case of small dogs, they can cause intestinal obstruction and increase the risk of suffocation.
Avocado (dog and cat)
Rich in fat, it can cause inflammation of the pancreas. In addition, its core is very toxic because it is rich in persin which is very harmful to the lungs and hearts of our four-legged friends. The nucleus can cause intestinal obstruction if ingested.
Onions and garlic (dog and cat)
They damage the red blood cells of our colleagues and can cause vomiting, anemia, rapid heart rate and even death.
Macadamia nuts (dog and cat)
They contain a toxin that attacks the digestive system, nervous system and bones of the animal. A few nuts are enough to cause vomiting, diarrhea, shortness of breath, and seizures. They also increase the risk of suffocation.
You may also be interested in:
Mushrooms (dog and cat)
Wild mushrooms, or from your garden, contain toxins that can have several harmful effects on your pet. These toxins can cause seizures and lead to death.
They contain tannins that cause diarrhea and vomiting. They cause swelling.
Raw potato (dog and cat)
Rich in calcium oxalate (an insoluble ionic crystal), raw potatoes are very dangerous for the urinary tract of our animals. Once cooked, the potato is ideal because it is rich in nutrients.
Salt (dog and cat)
Ingested in large quantities, it can cause an electrolyte imbalance leading to seizures, coma, paralysis, or even cardiac arrhythmias.
Sweet foods (Dogs and cats)
It can lead to obesity, diabetes, and dental problems.
Raw pie crust (dog and cat)
The yeast in the dough can bloat the stomach and cause severe bloating. In extreme cases, it can perforate the stomach or intestine. In addition, the ferments in the pasta can generate alcohol that is very harmful to the dog.
Moldy or beefy food (dog and cat)
These foods can seriously poison your animals. Symptoms are vomiting, diarrhea, and seizures.
Xylitol (dog and cat)
It is a substitute for sugar used in pastries and sweets. Therefore, the consequences are the same as for sweet foods.
Cat food (dog of course)
Generally too rich in protein and fat, it increases the risk of pancreatitis in our dogs.
Caffeine (dog and cat)
Very harmful, it accelerates the heart rate. Palpitations and heart attacks can occur. So be careful that your pet doesn’t get his muzzle wet in your cup of coffee or soda.
Iron-containing human vitamin supplements (Dogs and cats)
They can damage the digestive system and be toxic to many organs such as the liver or kidneys.
Alcohol (dog and cat)
It seems hazy, but it hampers the proper functioning of the brain. A few sips are all it takes to get your pet drunk. Symptoms can be vomiting, and if too much is swallowed it can cause heart and nerve problems.
What to do if your pet has eaten an unsafe food?
We must intervene as soon as possible. Call your veterinarian, tell him the name, the composition of the product, the amount ingested as well as some information related to your animal (breed, size, age, health problem …). Ideally, intervene as quickly as possible (no later than two hours after ingestion). Your vet can give your pet an injection that will make him vomit if necessary.
You may also be interested in:
When in doubt about a product, ask your vet. By specifying the food, the amount ingested as well as the weight of the animal, it will determine if this dose represents a potential risk and the measures to be taken.